Justin Tyvoll's Uganda Internship - 2010




The Mango Tree Blossom

The Mango Tree Blossom
Huts will be rebuilt, and compounds cleared... and the mango trees will blossom with fruits - Caroline Lamwaka

Monday, August 2, 2010

Camp Adak, Signing Off

I have one week remaining in the village of Adak. Next Sunday, I will depart for a few days of debrief, then return to Kampala for wrap-up and the flight home. For all the joys of living here in the bush, I am surprised to say that I am starting to miss home. I miss my friends, my family, good conversations, college classes, and the woods and fields of my New Jersey home. I miss having the ability to hop into a car on a whim; I miss ice cream and pizza. I miss hunting, fishing, and camping with my parents. I even miss the wealth of resources and entertainment available on that great human marvel, the world wide web. I miss my dog.

Even so, I am not looking forward to my return. I am not looking forward to the shock of transition between two vastly different world systems - the village, and the American academy. I am not looking forward to the stresses, tensions, and responsibilities of the fast-paced American lifestyle. I am not looking forward to the moral ambiguity that surrounds so many choices and issues in political and intellectual life. I am not looking forward to worming my way through the temptations and snares of my culture.

After all, it is easy to seek justice when the horrors of injustice lie before your eyes... when the oppressed are cradled in your arms. It is easy to care for the poor when you live among them. It only becomes difficult when you confine yourself to a society that insulates itself again global poverty, that blinds itself to horrendous evils - a society that pretends Adak does not exist.

I return home to another three years at Cornell. What those years will bring, I cannot tell. They will certainly be challenging - and not just in the sense of academics. I am caught between my incessant need for intellectual stimulation and the nagging Christian calling of social justice. I am called to love God; I am called to love wisdom (philosophia) - which is, in a sense, God, theLogos - and I am called to love my neighbor. And I cannot choose between the two. Which book do I follow, Proverbs or the Epistle of James? Of course, I must follow both! But how? How does a student of philosophy and history pursue justice in the world? Some give money. Others work at homeless shelters. The Christian philosopher Nicholas Wolterstorff wrote a book. How will I use my calling to pursue justice?

Quite simply, I don't know. But I will wait on the LORD.

Ps. 27:14

3 comments:

  1. I came upon your blog from a google alert with the keyword ADAK. I startd to read this post, wondering if I met you here in Adak. BUt as I kept reading it soon became obvious that you are or were, depending on when you read this, in fact in another Adak. I am on a small island in the Western Aleutian Chain of Alaska. 2 villages of the same name yet worlds apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Justin,
    I am again connected. I have been catching up on your blog postings. I am grateful that you have been kept safe. I have been praying for you all summer. You have made a difference in Adak this summer. I hope to speak to you soon. You will continue to be in my prayers. Love,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin,
    I have greatly enjoyed reading your posts. They're both well-written and insightful. They've given me much insight, especially since Lauren was there with you. We'll be praying for your travels home.
    Many blessings,
    Susan P.

    ReplyDelete