Justin Tyvoll's Uganda Internship - 2010




The Mango Tree Blossom

The Mango Tree Blossom
Huts will be rebuilt, and compounds cleared... and the mango trees will blossom with fruits - Caroline Lamwaka

Monday, August 2, 2010

Likes and Dislikes

As my time in Adak draws to a close, I have begun reflecting on my time here - the things I have learned, the memories I have gained, the decisions I've made... and, of course, the new questions I have!

What is poverty?
What land is more impoverished - the USA or Acholiland?
Do we have free will? (haha, okay, that's not a new question)
How do we wage war against war?
How do we promote shalom in a world of sin?

And, what I like and dislike...

What I like about Adak:

Seeing a brilliant night sky unpolluted by manmade lights

Riding my bicycle along quaint country trails

Enjoying the hospitality of loving friends and neighbors

All the crazy insect life!

Watching small animals grow into big ones

Learning a new language

The beauty of a rising African sun

Experiencing a vast, green countryside

Riding boda-bodas

Worshiping in fellowship with fervent believers

Living in direct connection to the land

What I don't like:

Cassava

Tribalism

Helplessly watching the incessant spread of disease

The lack of art, education, and intellectual stimuli

Slavery to land, climate, family, ignorance, and suspicion

The bizarre lack of wildlife

What I like about the USA:

FREEDOM! The freedom to move about, the freedom to learn, the freedom to achieve, the freedom to create, the freedom to change!

Modern and accessible health care

Innumerable careers

Written history

Mastery over nature - technology, innovation, agriculture, resource management, machines

A government that offers services and promotes order with little corruption (in comparison to Uganda, that is - hehehe)

What I don't like:

Patriotism

Self-centered culture

Pharisee Christianity

Pollution

Separation from the land

Safe living - life without risks

Digital distractions

The overwhelming lack of brotherly love


No comments:

Post a Comment